Sim-on-a-Stick 0.7.3.1 faqs
Thanks for trying out sim-on-a-stick.
- what is a virtual world?
what is OpenSim?
- A three dimensional computer programme typically allowing a user to use an avatar to interact with a simulated 3D environment. In this case, it is a server-side application that allows for a user to create a 3D environment.
what is sim-on-a-stick?
- An open source multi-platform, multi-user 3D application server that can be used to create a virtual world. It is accessed client software - typically called a "viewer".
what's the difference in the zip and the install?
- A standalone, single user Windows package of OpenSim that runs on a USB flash drive or any other convenient location. In addition to the OpenSimulator server, it contains the Apache web server, MySQL, and PHP in order to create a "portable" server.
- SoaS can run on a USB stick or PC and be used at home and one the road.
- It does not allow visitors and is not connected to any outside grid, although there have been hacks for both which you can read about on the SoaS blog posts.
what do i need to be able to use this?
- Both have the same OpenSim and same base setup. The zipped files are for users that want to place the folders anywehere they like and not use an executable installer. The installer version uses the same files and folders but automates the process for you - you can still decide where you want the files installed, like on a USB drive, or let it install it in a default location. The installer version may be easier for some people to use and it checks for .NET 3.5 which is needed for OpenbSim. It also creates an uninstall entry for later removal.
does it install anything permanent on my computer or change my registry?
- Windows operating system such as XP, Vista 32-bit and 64-bit, and Windows 7 with .NET 3.51 and at least a two core processor, 2 gigs of RAM, and a dedicated graphics card. For more on hardware, see
this OpenSimulator web page.
- Patience and enthusiasm. OpenSim is alpha software and running it as sim-on-a-stick adds complexity - this may or may not run for you.
do you track any information?
- The zipped set of folders can be copied over and over without installing anything onto the machine running it. The installer places the same files and folders onto your machine, or location you choose, plus creates desktop shortcuts and an uninstall entry in Add/Remove programs.
what's my first step?
- I use actively use Google Analytics for this website but do not track anything in the zipped files or the installer, only traffic to this site.
where do i unzip this to? does it have to be a stick?
- Download the zipped file or installer executable to a convenient location, it does not have to run on a USB thumb drive and can be placed anywhere on your PC.
how do i start it up?
- No, it can be saved to any location that you can read and write to.
how do i access my virtual world?
- Read the text file included in the zip.
- There are two main components for the OpenSim server to run - first start MoWeS by double-clicking
in the root of the soas folder. Allow access for any Windows dialogues that may appear. Once MoWeS is started, go into the bin folder inside of the diva folder and double click
OpenSim.exe. Allow access for any Windows dialogues that may appear.
how do i log in?
- You use client-side software called a viewer. There are many viewers available, including the Imprudence 1.3.2 viewer that you can download from this site which is configured to access sim-on-a-stick. For more on viewers, see
this web page.
- If you use another viewer, configure localhost to use port 9100 rather than the default 9000.
do i have to be a girl avatar?
- Once your viewer is open, log in with a first name of
Simona, last name of
Stick, and password of
how do i close or exit sim-on-a-stick?
- No, you can use the Diva Wifi admin panel to create another avatar. To launch that page, use the shortcut in the root soas folder or point your browser to
http://127.0.0.1:9100/wifi. Sim-on-a-stick must be running.
can i share this with others?
- Go to the OpenSim command console window and type
into the command console window. You may need to press enter first.
- Once the console closes, go to the MoWeS window and click
it doesn't work, what now?
- This is distributed as a convenience and "AS IS". The sim-on-a-stick zipped file is a collection of several softwares, each with their own licenses that must be read and understood
. Their licenses allow for redistribution under specific circumstances - if you meet these circumstances, then you may redistribute them. Caveat emptor.
- Please feel free to link to this site. This site's original content (graphics and text) are licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.
why is this free?
- Delete it and try again or read more online starting with
sim-on-a-stick specific posts. Other software can cause issues, for example, Skype caused older versions of sim-on-a-stick to fail, even if Skype was not running. The "port 9100" fix alleviated that issue.
- Hardware is also a factor and this is a 3D application that is resource intensive by nature.
- I believe in giving back to the community and this is one way that I am able to.
- I believe that creativity is important and that creative thinking can make the world a better place.
- This domain and its hosting is paid for by the generosity of
There is more information available from the
sim-on-a-stick specific posts
Thanks, good luck, and be creative! =)